Saturday, February 1, 2014

Soccer Application

Today  I  stood on the side lines as a parent instead of coach. Ive had the privilege of coaching a middle school team at Pusch Ridge Christian Academy over the past three months. Our B team only lost won game and our A team was undefeated and won the championship last night.  It was a great experience and I hope to be able to coach more soccer, track, cross country, basketball in the future.

Christopher came to several practices with me. He also participated in scrimmages and drills several times. Christopher and I often go outside and play on the green grass outside of our apartment...(rare in Tucson)...play a little possession or 1v1. I could see his skills increasing greatly everyday.

Today I witnessed him dribbling, passing, marking up and making 2 of 2 team goals. It was beautiful. Very athletic and impressive.

But the true application of this.....the LIFE LESSON.......KIDS FOLLOW YOUR ACTIONS, NOT YOUR WORDS....

At practice, I really didn't give much verbal instruction to Christopher because he was just there to play and have fun. I wanted him to develop a love for the game and also just to see kids a little older than him doing something great and honoring God with their abilities.

I dont think I ever sat down and explained the rules of the game or gave names to specific drills for him......

And yet today he performed as though he had been in league for 10 years......why?

Because Christopher was watching.....he was watching the DRILLS, he was watching PK's, he was watching the corner kicks, he was watching/ learning the positions, he was watching the players.......he was studying the game by watching.......

And in watching the players and watching the coaches's techniques, he picked up some amazing skills.......

SO you can coach your kids with your words, standing on the sideline TELLING them to pass the ball, telling them to shoot the ball, telling them to cross the field....................OR...you can get on the field with them and just play the game together.......let them watch you and learn from your moves....(and your fumbles.)......I choose the second

In other words, you can coach your kids with your words of DO THIS, DONT DO THAT....or you can just be in the game of life with them...set the standard and example with your actions...not your words....because that is what they will IMITATE.....and REPEAT.....

WAY TO GO CHRISTOPHER!

 With all my love, I am so proud and honored to be your mom and be Alexis' mom.
You are becoming an amazing kid and young man everyday...

PS I also loved to watch you play today with ALL YOUR HEART....you put so much passion out there....I am going to love to watch you every game and every practice....as you put it all out there....

Thanks for being an athlete and a star....

No comments:

Post a Comment